It takes practice. A lot of it.
Somedays you’ll feel the benefits of your practice full force, and you’ll easily radiate the connection of your mind, body and soul. While other days, you’ll fall off track. Life happens. The reality is you won’t always be able to put your practices first. The key is to keep at it. Keep practicing whenever you can. And don’t be down on yourself when you can’t accomplish it all.
When time is short, even a small commitment can make a big impact as far as getting grounding into your body, clearing your mind and expressing your soul. Here are a few practices you can do in about 5 mins. Try to integrate them into your day (hopefully several times) on a regular basis.
- Conscious Breathing– close your eyes and pay close attention to your inhale and exhale. Don’t attach to any thoughts –just stay with the breath at least 10 rounds.
- Fire Watching — light a candle. Stare at the fire with soft eyes and try not to blink. Do this for several rounds of breath. Then close your eyes and keep the image of the flame in your memory. Slowly open your eyes.
- Words to the page–as writers/ bloggers this one may appeal most. Sit down with a notebook (old school!) and write the first thoughts that come to mind. Keep writing until you’ve said it all. (Extra Credit: once you’ve reached this point of clarity you are primed for the next practice.)
- Mantra Meditation — close your eyes, focus on the breath. With each inhale say the word Let. On each exhale say Go. (feel free to fill in any other mantra or words that resonate with you). Become a witness to the thoughts as they move through the mind.
- Gratitude List– create a list of all the things in your life you’re grateful for.
- Dance Party — put on your favorite song. Shake it off and let loose!
There’s no right or wrong way to live your essence. These practices are for expression, not perfection. By connecting the mind, body and soul, you’re on the path of the true you.
What are some mini-practices you incorporate into your day?